D5.3 Progress report on the setting up of the Stakeholders’ Platform (Summary*)
One of the aims of WP5 is to set up and operate a European Stakeholders’ Platform (SP) with members representing the major actors of the food packaging value chain.
- To provide a forum for knowledge, information exchange and discussion with packaging manufacturers, converters, food businesses, retailers, industrial associations, raw material suppliers policy makers, civil society representatives, consumer representatives related platforms, food companies, waste managers, scientific community, authorities, relating to food packaging and valorisation issues in the light of their needs and expectations.
- To foster an understanding of what is new in sustainable food packaging from technical, environmental and business concepts / cross-chain valorisation aspects, including development opportunities and potential applications of innovative bioprocesses and bio-products.
- To provide guidance to GLOPACK based on the key activities of the members of the SP, their needs and problems to ensure that the project activities and outcomes are focused on priority areas and the proposed products and technologies will meet the expectations of the stakeholders
- Involvement of all project partners into the SP as a core group of the platform; this will make the SP more attractive to potential members to join and contribute to the strong business participation.
- Establishment among the SP of a discussion forum on challenges of sustainable food packaging to enhance the exploitation of project results.
- Ensuring the regular dialogue between the project partners and stakeholders on different topics.
- Using multifactor approach covering economic/business and technological aspects that ensures that all important points, issues and needs towards innovative and sustainable packaging are taken into consideration in the project.
- Providing on-line tools for communication and information exchange.
- Preparing, distributing dedicated information materials through the dedicated part of the website of GLOPACK, and in later phase of the project by webinars and phone conferences.
Results & implications
The procedures for operating the GLOPACK Stakeholders’ Platform was established, which helps the smooth communication and control of the work flow in the project.
38 potential candidates were invited to join to the GLOPACK Stakeholders’ Platform and 15 of them expressed their willingness to join and signed the confidentiality agreement until 31st of May 2019.
The Stakeholders’ Platform was established. It is open for any new inquirer during the whole project.
The online tools for communication with the SP members were developed on the GLOPACK website. Information about the project also is available on social media networks (Twitter and LinkedIn). Information materials (e.g.: articles, guidelines, state of the art knowledge) were placed on the online, password protected dedicated SP platform on the GLOPACK website. The members of the SP were also invited to test and provide feedback on the EcoBioCAP Food Packaging Decision Support System in order to develop the commercial version of the tool. Two other tools were provided for the members of the Stakeholders’ Platform (PredOxyPack tool and a tool for permeability calculations by Prof. Steven Abbott).
The members of the SP were also involved in the first round of discussion on the draft Position Paper on the use of biodegradable food packaging to reduce/replace the application of single use plastics.
The first GLOPACK Stakeholders’ Event will be organised on 5th June 2019, in Verona, Italy, jointly to the first Annual Meeting of GLOPACK. The title of the event is ‘Unlock the potential of biodegradable food packaging’. On the event, participants will learn about the benefits of using bio-based and biodegradable packaging materials and they will have an opportunity to test some of the GLOPACK modelling tools. The participants are expected to share their view on the activities of the project related to these two topics.
Only the summary of this deliverable is available as the report is confidential and only the members of the consortium can get access to it. In case of any questions, please contact the contact person below.
Contact person: Zsófia Kertész (Campden BRI Hungary): email@example.com